Friday, April 25, 2014

BEING TEACHABLE



What does that look like? A URL? An email address? Or what? That was the question I asked myself when I received a letter by hand, from Femi Sam, who introduced himself as an experienced tutor in a recognized academy. He met me at the IT office of his good friend and promised to keep in touch. The informal letter (*laughs*) was quite directionless but I he specified that he wanted an electronic mail for himself. Then I understood why he sent his CV attached with the letter, so I would enter the right information into the fields. I was quite puzzled because the e-mail address he specifically wanted was ww.samofeming@.com

In the process of learning/execution, many times, many requesting organizations do not really know what they want, yet they appear as if they do. Some requests are absurd to the performer while to the requesting party, they make all the sense in this world. For a simple hearted person that makes impossible requests, it is easier for the performer to guide him through what is right to do. Sam Femi said I shouldn’t bother if the email address he specified was not available. I tried to explain the absurdity of his request to him via a phone conversation. He was not interested in my suggestion. ‘’NDBWY sir’’, I said in my mind.

I’m yet to receive any mail from that particular address. Many times, it’s difficult to receive corrections particularly if you appear like a know-it-all; when you do not want to step down from your rung of pride. Some people would rather manipulate a good hearted performer who tries to correct them, making him feel silly. It’s terrible not to be teachable!

Over confidence won’t allow you ask questions. ‘Oversabi’ deceives you that you know it all. ‘Over-saturated brains’ hardly open up to suggestions. Ayo Arowolo, a recognized financial consultant, said he didn’t learn much from his mentor at a particular point. He asked questions and when the ‘Baba’ made an attempt to answer, he would interfere and add take over from the man. The wise ‘Baba’ allowed him until he realised he wasn’t learning!  Until he became humble and teachable, he didn’t learn the principles that delivered him from his massive financial trouble. Can you sit to be taught what you (think you) know, and it will come out as a fresh idea? Are you teachable?  Assumption is the bedrock of a great fall in the process of execution.

Everytime you interfere with the process of help from a tutor, performer or colleague, the relationship ends with a NDBWY action. If you read well, I didn’t say that it’s bad to be confident in what you know. I simply said it’s terrible to be over confident, causing you to turn down suggestions which are seemingly contrary to what you know, or below your knowledge level. There’s a way to help the performer/tutor even if his propositions are wrong. The point is- listen first!

Avoid the NDBWY chain. Relax so that it won’t always be ‘Nice Doing Business With You’ (NDBWY) because you are not teachable. Think about this!

No comments:

Post a Comment